About the World Bicycle Relief
World Bicycle Relief mobilizes people through The Power of Bicycles. We envision a world where distance is no longer a barrier to independence and livelihood.
Simple, sustainable bicycle transportation multiplies an individual’s efficiency. Compared to walking, bikes improve access to education, healthcare and economic opportunity. They increase carrying capacity and accessible travel distance while decreasing the time it takes to commute to schools, clinics and markets.
What They Do
We provide specially-designed, locally assembled bicycles to entrepreneurs, healthcare workers and students across rural Africa through sustainable work-to-own and study-to-own programs. We also train field mechanics to ensure access to maintenance and spare parts.
To meet the growing demand for high-quality bicycles in the developing world, World Bicycle Relief’s wholly-owned subsidiary, Buffalo Bicycle Ltd. sells bikes directly to non-governmental organizations, corporations and individuals in need of affordable, sustainable transportation.
How They Do It
- DESIGN, SOURCE & MANUFACTURE rugged bicycles engineered specifically for rural terrain and load requirements
- ASSEMBLE bicycles locally with proper tools and close attention to quality
- DELIVER bicycles through purchases, work-to-own & study-to-own programs
- ESTABLISH maintenance infrastructure by training local field mechanics
- EVALUATE our work through independent studies
- COMMUNICATE program results to donors and partners
Wheels In The Field